July 24th to August 4th, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

I am not PhD student/post doc anymore; may I apply to attend the school?

Yes, you can be exceptionally accepted to participate. However, in this case you will not be eligible to receive any financial support from Fapesp.

I am a student/post doc; if my application is accepted what should I expect as support?

If you are accepted to participate in the school and you are not from the city of São Paulo, you will have your travel expenses paid (air-ticket or bus ticket) and you receive a daily allowance of 240 BRL for up to 10 days. The school will also pay for health insurance for non brazilians.

May I participate in just some days of the school?

No, participation during the 10 days is highly recommended.

Is it difficult to be accepted?

We are taking applications from all around the world and are advertising the school in several different media; at the same time, we will be able to accept a reasonably big number of students. Therefore, there is no clear answer to this question, but please notice that if you do not apply your chances of being accepted are none.

Do I need a visa to enter Brazil?

To attend the Advanced School, you may enter Brazil as a tourist:

“The tourist visa may be issued to foreigners traveling to Brazil on a temporary basis, without purposes of immigration or the exercise of paid activity. Tourist visas can be granted for those traveling for tourism or to artistic competitions, sports competitions, conferences, seminars or meetings, among other purposes - provided there is no payment or remuneration of any type.”

Depending on your nationality, a tourist visa may be required or exempted. The ultimate authority on whether you need a visa or not is the Brazilian Consulate in your country. The information we provide here is for your convenience only, and was obtained from the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website on March 6th, 2017. Please contact the nearest Brazilian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence to verify your visa requirement status (will depend on your nationality) before making travel plans.

You may check whether or not you need a tourist visa: find your country in the table that starts on page 2 and check the corresponding code in column “VITUR (Tourism)”. The caption for the codes is listed in page 1. The most common codes are 1 (visa is required) and 8 (visa exemption for staying as a tourist for a period of at most 90 days).

If you do require a visa, we highly recommend applying for one as soon as possible, in order to guarantee that, if needed, the visa will be issued in time. Official invitation letters can be provided for those participants that need to apply for a Visa. Whether you need a visa or not, when you go through immigration it is useful to have at hand information about your place of accommodation and the school.

Participants of the school should also have travel/health insurance to protect themselves against unexpected events. Check your travel agency or credit card: you may be eligible for travel insurance when purchasing the air ticket.

Please note that visa expenses will not be reimbursed.

Will the School pay for Visa expenses?

Unfortunately, no, but we may provide invitation letters for justification.

Submitted documents have to be written in English?

For Brazilian students, Portuguese is ok.